Iniard Watch

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

The Dairy Diet (Sponsored by the Dairy Association)




I have been hearing alot of promotion about the diet where you drink milk, eat cheese and yogurt, and lose your gut. I am not a diet expert, but I am skeptical when the people who profit from dairy products promote a dairy products diet.
There claim is that "Enjoying 3-A-Day™ of Dairy - 3 servings of milk, cheese or yogurt each day - as part of a reduced-calorie diet can help burn more fat and give better results when it comes to trimming the waistline than just cutting calories alone."

If it works out to be legitimate, that would be good, since I do like yogurt, but I am not sure if it is all that. After taking a quick look at the study the claim was based on, it seems too early to tell. The study was based on 32 obese people who went 24 weeks on a severely reduced calorie diet, some with dairy, some without. After the 24 weeks, the people who had dairy lost more weight than those who did not. I am not sure if my situation would give the same results as an obese person on a weight watchin boot camp.

The study also does not touch on the health dangers of higher fat and cholesterol. The research for the study was paid for by the makers of Lactaid, the milk anyone can drink. I also found this footnote on the study of interest:

The costs of publication of this article were defrayed, in part, by the payment of page charges. This article must, therefore, be hereby marked "advertisement" in accordance with 18 U.S.C. Section 1734 solely to indicate this fact.

7 Comments:

  • I prefer 1% milk. Bless you, my child.

    By Blogger Pope Benedict XVI, at 8:52 PM  

  • Nice blog. I, too, have a blog; a very progressive one.
    http://educationalvignette.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger hooey, at 12:53 PM  

  • Are you openly admitting being obese?

    By Blogger Jason Schneider, at 10:34 PM  

  • i am currently on the clay aikens diet....eat anything you want to, then put on a clay aikens cd and in a minute you will lose all you just ate, and you don't even have to put your fingers down your throat!

    By Blogger Mark, at 1:43 PM  

  • Having discovered your blog through the blooger toolbar, I hope you don't mind saying that I have a ebooks site/blog. It pretty much covers ebooks related stuff. Check it out if you have time.

    By Blogger Quit Smoking, at 11:08 PM  

  • You have pretty cool blog here. What's up with these weird posts?

    Anyway, I like your blog and will proably be back.

    Take care.

    Lexie

    Oh and another cool site is a commercial fitness flooring site about other weight loss stuff.

    By Blogger Lexie, at 9:15 AM  

  • Help! I am lost. I was searching for food recipe and somehow ended up here. How that happened I don't know, however I do like your Blog a lot. Would you mind if I add your Blog to my favorites page so others can visit?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home