Iniard Watch

Monday, October 31, 2005

Adding Up the Plus Card Gas Savings



I have problems with the whole loyalty card programs that everyone seems to be having these days in the grocery world. I am astonished that so many people are clamoring to krogers to spend $100 so that they can save 10 cents a gallon on their next fill up. People I work with actually plan on going to the store on the last day of the month so they can reach the next $100 mark in grocery purchases. I am all for saving money on gas, but does the Kroger plus card campaign save money overall? I tend to think not. My own research puts krogers prices about 5-15% higher than other local grocery stores. So, for every $100 that you spend on groceries, so you save 10 cents a gallon on gas, you spend at least $5 bucks more than you would have at meijers, cub foods, or biggs. For reference, my car holds 14 gallons of gas, and I usually have room for 13 when I get gas. If I could save 10 cents a gallon, that is $1.30. I am not excited about spending an extra $5 per hundred to save $1.30 in gas. Why are so many other people?

3 Comments:

  • I say shop at the place that gives the best deal and use a credit/debit card that gives you cash back. Also, I like to consider how much my personal time is worth. Lets just say I make 75 bucks an hour, is it worth my time to drive all over time to save 15 bucks in groceries or gas?

    By Blogger Ron Schneider, at 4:40 AM  

  • Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

    I have a credit cards for bad credit site/blog. It pretty much covers credit cards for bad credit related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

    By Blogger Credit Center, at 5:50 AM  

  • Giant Eagle gives you $.10 off per gallon for every $50 you spend in their store. It's nice because that just happens to be the closest store to me... The way I see it, $.10 off per gallon is better than nothing when I am going to shop there anyway...

    http://killired.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger Killired, at 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home