Iniard Watch

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Dairy Diet Update....



Last year I expressed skepticism about the Dairy Diet being promoted by the Dairy Industry. Nine months later, there are more studies being done showing that it is a bunch of crap and information is getting easier to find about how the promotion is funded.


As it turns out, it is funded largely by tax dollars collected from milk producers. Out of the 273 million in taxes collected for promotion of milk, about 100 million was channeled to the Fluid Milk Processor Promotion Program who has spearheaded the promotion of the dairy diet. Now, as a result of their campaign, half of the women in this country have heard that drinking milk helps you lose weight, according to the Center for Science in the Public Interest.


What is interesting is that government also funds the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee who has reported that there is not sufficient evidence to support the claims of the dairy diet being effective for weight management. Since this committee only has a budget of 1 million dollars, and can’t afford to spread the word, I am helping to do it here. Here are some more reports and studies about the dairy diet:


Washington Post: “Children who drink more than three servings of milk each day are prone to becoming overweight, according to a large new study that undermines a heavily advertised dairy industry claim that milk helps people lose weight.”


Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine: “Despite dairy industry claims, scientific studies actually show that adding dairy products to the diet does nothing for weight control. If anything, milk contributes to weight gain. Three very recent studies, one at the University of Vermont, another at Purdue University, and the third just published in the Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, reconfirm these findings


National Public Radio: The dairy industry’s latest advertising campaign offers up an appealing formula for weight loss. The message is eat more in order to slim down…. Some scientists say that the industry does not have enough evidence to support the claim in its ads.”

4 Comments:

  • hey what's up? haven't been over here in a few days but I wanted to comment on the milk issue... my dad's side of the family owns a dairy farm in west tennessee so I promote milk all the way...
    I'm not sure what to believe about milk making people overweight... I think if you drink the whole, 2% or even 1% milkfat milk, then yes, you will gain weight... I prefer skim cause of the taste.. A lot of people hate skim milk cause they think it tastes like water... I think you get used to it...
    Regarding children... my kids drink milk... 2% and we go thru about 1 gallon a day.. I have 3 boys... ages 2, 4 & 6 and neither one of them are overweight.. I asked the pede about it and he said he is not concerned about their weight... when I asked him about the amt of milk they drink all he said was that if they drink too much milk, they will be too full to eat anything else... well the 6 yr old, I think he only gets protein from milk at this point cause he does not like meat... they eat a lot of yogurt too...

    so anyway.. that's my $.02 and experience with milk in my family...

    By Blogger Killired, at 8:58 PM  

  • Yeah, I think people get used to drinking whatever they drink on a regular basis. Some think I'm weird cause I like sparkling mineral water and soy milk (not together!), but I can't see how people like the taste of diet pop with aspartame.

    By Blogger Jude, at 9:52 AM  

  • never been a soy milk drinker... can't imagine changing from skim milk.. which i was thinking about after posting... i dont think 'they' even call it skim anymore... i think it's just fat free or 0%... interesting huh... wonder if it was a marketing strategy?!?!?!?

    By Blogger Killired, at 11:40 PM  

  • I AM REALLY GLAD THAT SOMEONE (OTHER THAN ME) IS GETTING THE WORD OUT ON THIS DAIRY DISASTER. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home